Sunday, August 29, 2010

Spiced Apple Custard Pie


After my late addition Pear Custard Pie to the pie party last night I was motivated to cook even more pie today, if you can believe it! I thought the pear was fine but it seemed like something that might work even better with apples. I sort of wish I knew which variety of apple is tart and bakes up perfectly but I had to wing it at the grocery store, so I went with Granny Smiths.

This pie made my kitchen smell like Thanksgiving or Halloween... fall. It's a fall-y flavor. Jo loved it, I loved it, Jon ate it, and Dave said it was "fine" and "not as good as regular apple pie but still enjoyable" - whatever that tells you! If you want to make pie and not make any crust then this is definitely a way to go!

Spiced Apple Custard Pie

Ingredients
2 large apples (I have no suggestions on which type is best)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 inch pie plate.

2. Core the apples and cut them into thin sliced. Toss them into a sealable bag, add the cinnamon and nutmeg, close the bag and shake until the apples are evenly coated. Then arrange the apple slices in the pie plate as you see fit (artistic license).

3. In a stand mixer blend the eggs, milk and vanilla. Gradually add the butter while mixing on low speed. Combine flour, sugar and salt in a small bowl and add gradually to the egg mixture. Increase speed to high and blend until smooth.

4. Pour the mixture over the apples, dust the top with cinnamon, then bake for 40 minutes. You kitchen will smell fall-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment