Friday, August 27, 2010

Bananas Foster Oatmeal

I know you probably don't care about oatmeal but would it surprise you to discover that I do?! Granted it doesn't rank anywhere near gravy when we're talking about breakfast foods, but doesn't Bananas Foster Oatmeal sound like an even more fantastic way to eat oatmeal? That's what I thought when I heard someone mention it.

So, it may not have been breakfast time but I felt like cooking something for afternoon snack with Joey today and it turns out that the wonderful snack I felt like cooking became Bananas Foster Oatmeal. I'm such an amazing cook that I just conjured it up right there! Also, there were no recipes on the interweb for it that I was able to locate.

It didn't take very long, it was thoroughly enjoyed by a two-year-old, and I might have eaten nearly a tureen of it too. Long story short, I'm thinking you might already want to make this:

Bananas Foster Oatmeal

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Quick-cooking Oats (even though I hear the Old Fashioned are somehow healthier)
1 Tbsp Sugar (I used the turbinado kind because it makes me feel special)
Banana
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Instructions:
1. Combine the oatmeal and 1.5 cups water in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for two minutes. As this is microwaving you might be looking at the label on the oatmeal and realize that I actually just wrote out the instructions from the back of the container, and you would be right. Once the oatmeal is finished, set it aside.

2. Unpeel a banana and place it on a microwaveable plate. Use a fork to mash it up a little bit, then microwave for two minutes.

3. While the banana is melting, heat the sugar in a small skillet or saucepan over medium high heat. Gently shake it occasionally until the sugar begins to melt. When melting occurs reduce the heat to low. Allow all the sugar to melt and try not to stir it too much. When all the sugar is melted, add the oatmeal to the pan and stir until it is all mixed thoroughly. Dump in the banana and the vanilla. Stir and serve to a two-year-old.

*pictures of this just looked like oatmeal so I'm allowing my lovely assistant to liven these images up a bit!

1 comment: